Wood and plaster fireplace surround, Allen House

Wood and plaster fireplace surround, Allen House, Guildford. Our ref GM 16
Top of surround with mantel shelf decorated on front with central vase design flanked each side with 3 circular garlands surrounding rosettes and figures in corners. L 1554.48mm x H 342.9mm,, W of shelf 158.75mm
Allen House in High Street, Guildford (demolished in 1964), took its name from Anthony Allen, a Master in Chancery and Mayor of Guildford, 1740-41. Later owners included Caleb Woodyer, a Guildford surgeon, 1816-50, and his son Henry Woodyer, an ecclesiastical architect, from 1850-66. In 1866, it was bought by the Rev H G Merriman, headteacher of the Royal Grammar School, Guildford, and was thereafter used as a school. He sold Allen House on his retirement and it remained in private hands until it was sold to Surrey County Council in 1921.
Although the provenance of the fire surround is known (Allen House), it is not complete or if other parts can be found, it is not assembled.
Sarah Leary
Sarah.leary@guildford.gov.uk
01483444756
Guildford Museum, Castle Arch, Quarry Street, Guildford, GU1 3SX