Enjoy this article?
Most Museums Journal content is only available to members. Join the MA to get full access to the latest thinking and trends from across the sector, case studies and best practice advice.
Upheaval in the Labour-led Welsh Government this week, including the resignations of first minister Vaughan Gething and culture secretary Lesley Griffiths, has brought fresh uncertainty to the culture sector in Wales.
Griffiths, who was appointed to the role in March, joined three other ministers in quitting the cabinet in a vote of no confidence in Gething. He has faced a string of rows over campaign donations and the sacking of a government minister for allegedly leaking text messages.
In her resignation letter to Gething, Griffiths said she had “reached the conclusion that we simply will not be able to put things back on track under your leadership”.
Following the cabinet resignations, and the loss of a no-confidence vote in the Senedd last month, Gething announced on Tuesday that he would be stepping down after just four months as leader. He has denied any wrongdoing, saying claims made against him were “pernicious, politically motivated and patently untrue”.
The upheaval comes at a critical time for the Welsh museum, culture and heritage sector, which was hit by severe budget reductions to grant-in-aid earlier this year, including a 10.5% cut to Amgueddfa Cymru – Museum Wales.
Since then, sector leaders have spoken out about the financial challenges facing cultural institutions, with the former chief librarian at the National Library of Wales accusing the government of being “at war with culture”.
At a debate last month, the Senedd heard about the “disastrous” impact of the cuts, with one speaker warning that there was “a very real risk to the national collections as a result of the jobs and expertise that have been lost”.
In one of her final acts as culture secretary last week, Griffiths announced an additional £3.7m to support local and national museums, including £1.3m for urgent repairs to National Museum Cardiff.
Museums Journal understands that there are concerns in the sector that the lack of a dedicated culture secretary, and the upcoming summer recess for the Senedd, could mean crucial funding decisions are delayed.
In addition, the ongoing political instability may continue to impact future funding decisions and the overall support for cultural initiatives.
The formal timetable for the succession race is yet to be agreed, but Gething has said he hopes a new first minister will be in place for the autumn. Gething will stay on as first minister and Welsh Labour leader in the interim.
Most Museums Journal content is only available to members. Join the MA to get full access to the latest thinking and trends from across the sector, case studies and best practice advice.